You are watching: What does the ll in ll bean stand for
1. The Name. L.L.Bean represents Leon Leonwood Bean, a hunter and fisher who started the firm in 1912 in Freeport, Maine.
2. No locks ~ above the flagship store doors. "We have thrown far the tricks to the place," exclaimed L.L. In 1951 together he initiated twenty-four/365 service. Among his most famed entrepreneurial changes, Mr. Bean"s decision had actually its origins with nocturnal tourists who would ring the night bell ~ above their way upstate to hunt and fish.
3. People War II. L.L.Bean adjusted its signature Maine hunting Shoe for usage by both the army and also the marine during world War II, and several various other items were produced the armed forces. Throughout the war, Mr. P and agency executives spent time in Washington, D.C. As consultants.
4. The 1960s and Leon. In 1961 L.L."s grandson, Leon Gorman asked because that a task at the family company after graduating native Bowdoin College and spending 4 years together an officer on marine destroyers. L.L. Placed him on the payroll in ~ $80 per week. L.L. Was nearly ninety years old in ~ the beginning of the decade and also while the company"s call was in ~ its highest, the retailer was struggling with stagnant operations and outdated facilities. Sales were holding at approximately $2 million and failing to rise when Leon took the helm as president. During his tenure (1967-2001), he thrived L.L. Bean to a exchange rate dollar company.
5. The science behind the brand. L.L.Bean operates its own independent test lab for scientific evaluation of materials, construction and design, and prototypes for new products are repetitively tested and also revised till they accomplish customer requirements and firm standards. Also established and best-seller commodities are tested in the lab to keep the brand"s criter for quality and also performance.
6. The huge boot. The large Bean boot (pictured above) at the enntrance gate of the flagship keep is a dimension 410.
7. The aquarium. There is an aquarium in ~ the flagship keep in Freeport, Maine. The best trout in the aquarium is 8 pounds, 28 inches.
8. There"s a reason they"re well-known for customer service. L.L. Bean prides itself on its client service, and also many stories from client validate the company"s mission. One of our favorite story is about Ed Dwyer, who functioned as a sales rep in the flagship save until 1985. Mr. Dwyer offered a camping range to a woman that was around to leaving for a tour of Ireland. Shortly after the mrs left the store, Mr. Dwyer establish she could have trouble finding the appropriate fuel because that the cooktop in Ireland. He saw the cashier and also found the she had actually paid v a inspect that noted a town in vermont as the only address. The following day (his day off), through a much more appropriate backpacking oven in hand, Mr. Dwyer drove to the town in Vermont, inquired in ~ the basic store, and also was provided directions to the women"s home. The exchanged stoves, and also taught her just how to usage the brand-new one. A couple of weeks later, Mr. Dwyer started to receive postcards native Ireland.
See more: Why Did Ron Moss Leave The Bold And The Beautiful
9. The boots mobile. L.L. Bean constructed the very first Bootmobile in 2012 for the company"s 100th Anniversary, and soon thereafter launched an additional due to popular demand. Today just two exist, and also spotting one is tantamount to see a unicorn.
10. Company execs live the L.L. P lifestyle. People who work at L.L. Bean work hard to for sure customers space satisfied through the high quality of products. "We gain out right into the ar as lot as we deserve to at L.L.Bean and also do the very same things the our customers are doing," says agency president kris McCormick. "We use our own assets so the we have a far better idea of exactly how they"re performing. This exercise helps us identify much better with ours customers" experiences and also needs."