Okay, I’m absolutely too biased and also not fairly well-traveled enough to make that statement—but I simply wanted to start off with a bang.
You are watching: What does ecuador mean in spanish
Ecuadorian slang is a distinct blend the Spanish, Kichwa (the nation’s indigenous language) and foreign loan words. No to mention, the slang is as varied as the nation itself. You’ve gained the coast, the mountains and the jungle, every one of which have actually their own distinctive variations on Spanish and also Kichwa.
The variations space striking, so much so that even after spending three months in Quito and chatting constantly through your brand-new Quiteño buddies, the Spanish spoken on the coastline or in the tropical can totally throw you because that a loop.
So, provided that there’s a the majority of nuance in ~ play here, exactly how do you know when and how to throw out your Ecuadorian slang?
Download: This blog write-up is obtainable as a convenient and portable PDF the youcan take anywhere. Click below to obtain a copy. (Download)
How to use Ecua-slang favor an Ecuadorian
The an extremely phrase “ecua-slang” gives me away together a foreigner. Expats life in Ecuador have actually a solid tendency to prefix numerous words through Ecua-, often when expressing that that thing is quintessentially Ecuadorian. Like, “Man, I had to walk to four different offices and get this document notarized twice today, together an Ecua-day.”
That’s fun to say and also all, however what about when you want to blend in and also sound Ecuadorian? Here’s what you have to know around native slang consumption in Ecuadorian Spanish.
Kichwa words space thrown into conversation casually and regularly, therefore you’ll require to recognize the most typically used vocabulary to get by. Occasionally the Kichwa indigenous are used with a fragile touch of humor, as they indicate that the speaker is a true homeboy.
If you recognize the native words and use them to describe things the you love or own, climate that’s a dead giveaway the you’re an Ecuadorian de corazón (in her heart). The Kichwa slang words deserve to be provided in quite much any situation, in formal or informal conversation, since they’re not suggestive (mostly).
This nation’s sense of feeling is unrelentingly cheeky. And also by that i mean, butt cheeky. Slapstick and loud, bombastic jokes room the people that obtain the many laughs. It’s entirely irreverent in the feeling that very small is turn off limits, and things that are generally taken very seriously come to be the butt of the joke. So, it’s only organic that so much of Ecuadorian slang is super in-your-face.
Many day-to-day things space given much more silly-sounding or affectionate slang names. Human being are dubbed by terms and also nicknames which often sound callous or disrespectful come sheltered American ears. You can whip the end the an ext rambunctious or suggestive slang words and use castle profusely as soon as it’s time for casual conversation or hoax telling.
You can get a better sense of just how Ecuadorean Spanish in reality sounds, and also Spanish from anywhere the world, by city hall authentic keolistravelservices.com videos.
keolistravelservices.com take away real-world videos—like music videos, movie trailers, news and also inspiring talks—and turns them into personalized language discovering lessons.
other sites usage scripted content. Keolistravelservices.com offers a natural approach that helps girlfriend ease right into the Spanish language and society over time. You’ll discover Spanish together it’s actually spoken by genuine people.
keolistravelservices.com has actually a wide variety of videos topics, as you deserve to see here:
keolistravelservices.com brings aboriginal videos in ~ reach through interactive transcripts. You have the right to tap on any word come look it increase instantly. Every meaning has examples that have been composed to help you understand just how the word is used.
Plus, if you watch an interesting word you don’t know, girlfriend can include it to a vocab list.
review a finish interactive transcript under the Dialogue tab, and also find words and phrases listed under Vocab.
discover all the vocabulary in any video clip with keolistravelservices.com’s robust learning engine. Swipe left or ideal to see much more examples of words you’re on.
The best part is the keolistravelservices.com keeps monitor of the vocabulary that you’re learning, and gives you extra exercise with challenging words. It"ll also remind you once it’s time to testimonial what did you do it learned. Every learner has a truly personalized experience, even if they’re studying with the very same video.
begin using keolistravelservices.com on the website with your computer or tablet computer or, far better yet, download the iOS or Android keolistravelservices.com app.
You’ll give thanks to me when you’re sipping canelazos in Plaza Fosch (the center of nightlife in Quito) or chilling by a seaside bonfire in Montañita. But we’ll speak even an ext about Ecuador’s sights and also nightlife hotspots in a bit. Let’s acquire rolling through the slang!103 Ecuadorian Slang Words That win Locals’ Hearts
1. Aniñado — Literally, this Spanish word way something akin to “infantile,” “childish” or “spoiled.” This definition is not totally lost in the slang, together it refers to a affluent person, normally one indigenous a fancier ar in Quito or Guayaquil. You’ll frequently hear human being exclaim, “¡Qué aniñado!” about stuck-up people or discuss the ulterior motives of los aniñados in politics and social issues.
2. Quitop/Quitoffff — add a p or one elongated ffff sound to the end of a indigenous which end in a vowel, and you’ll sound super Quiteño. It’s a specifying characteristic the the accent specific to Quito. For this reason, many civilization will humorously refer to Quito as Quitop or Quitoffff.
3. Chiva — girlfriend haven’t truly partied in Ecuador till you’ve ridden ~ above a chiva, or party bus. Friend all pile on, organize onto the poles and handles for dear life and shot to dance salsa while the driver weapons it about city streets. Everyone drink from small plastic cup tied about their necks v string. The bus will also make distinct stops for this reason you deserve to hop turn off the bus and also dance to optimal 40 music at historical sites.
4. Serrano — This way “mountain person” or “highlander,” and also is used to refer to anyone life in the mountainous areas of Ecuador. It’s appropriate Spanish, not rather slang, yet it’s essential to understand for any type of casual conversation.
5. Sorroche — Altitude sickness. When you capture a bus indigenous the coastal region in ~ 100 MSNM (metros sobre el nivel del mar — meters above sea level) and also zoom as much as 2,500 MSNM in one 3-hour drive, this is what you can be feeling. Be certain to sip water constantly as you climb in altitude and bring along (my personal favorite sorroche remedy) ginger chews.
6. ¡Chendo! — just kidding!
7. Liguista — A soccer fan who roots because that Liga Deportista Universitaria de Quito (or, much more simply, Liga de Quito or La Liga). They’re now in the experienced league, no longer college league.
8. La Casa Blanca — The stadion where La Liga plays. Since their team color is white, naturally their stadium is recognized as the White House.
9. Muerte Blanca — Yes, the football stadium erupts in chaos, fireworks, loud music, audience chants, vuvuzelas and also beer cup flying with the sky. But where walk it every begin? The Muerte Blanca, the no-holds-barred section of the stadion where only the most rabid fans room seated.
Guayaquil / coastal Language
10. Lámpara — Sketchy. If you know how sketchy components of Guayaquil deserve to be, then you’ll know exactly how handy this indigenous is. It’s used all over Guayaquil practically constantly, yet outside the city don’t it is in surprised if other civilization haven’t heard that before. You deserve to say lamparota if miscellaneous is super sketchy, and you can even use it as an exclamation: ¡Qué lámpara!
11. Mono — Literally way “monkey,” yet the slang advert to seaside Ecuadorians. This is sometimes used lovingly, because that example, as soon as a seaside girl is called by the nickname la mona or la monita. Other times it’s used not-so-lovingly by human being from various other regions. Simply pay attention to the context!
12. Coco — This favorite seaside fruit (coconut) is also seaside slang because that “virgin.”
13. Caleta — Perhaps my favorite seaside slang word, this one literally means “cove,” yet actually describes a residence or home. Imagine a lovely rocky outcropping, waves gently breaking and lapping onto the shore—doesn’t that sound like a lovely means to define your home?
14. Barcelonista — fan of the Barcelona football team in Guayaquil. The other major team in Guayaquil is Emelec.
15. Hornoquil — combination of the word horno (oven) and also Guayaquil, i m sorry is offered to curse the at times unbearable heat of this city. Yes, once walking around Guayaquil you could feel choose you’re trapped within an oven, gift baked.
16. Guayaco(a) — the Guayaquil. This isn’t have to slang since it have the right to be used more formally, together in, la comida guayaca (Guayaquil food). However, it’s more casual to call your friend la guayaca (the girl native Guayaquil) 보다 it is to speak to her la guayaquileña, even despite they both median the exact same thing.
Words v Friends
17. Amiguero(a) — If you’re amiguero, then you’re extra friendly and also amiable. This slang adjective is used to describe someone who renders friends quickly and also easily.
18. Tímbrame — After you’ve very first exchanged numbers, or when you’re do plans to hook up v someone later, you’ll regularly hear castle say, “¡Timbrame!” or “Ring me!” that doesn’t just mean “call me” every the time. Rather, since it costs saldo (phone credit) to location calls, her friend is saying that girlfriend just collection off your ringtone to provide them her phone number or permit them understand you’re ready to fulfill up.
19. Pana — Buddy. This one belongs more in Guayaquil, however it’s used about the country.
20. El/la guy — Ugh, this one is confound when finding out Spanish, mostly because it’s difficult to identify if the speaker’s talking around a girl or a guy. Man is express “mahn,” with a Spanish accent. El man means something prefer “the guy” and la man is the female version, finest translated as “the chick” or other similar. You have the right to use it come sound chill once referring to any kind of friend, acquaintance or complete stranger.
21. Amiguis — A cutesier method than amigos to speak “friends,” finest reserved for girlfriends.
22. Porfis — A at sight cutesy variation of por favor used to speak “please” in the most adorable way possible. Shot making sad puppy eyes when you to speak this.
23. Mi llave — literally means, “my key,” and makes no sense in English or Spanish. It’s simply a nonsense phrase offered to describe friends humorously and also make her sentence sound silly.
Want to sound enthusiastic? below are all the phrases you’ll need!
24. ¡De ley! — Absolutely!
25. ¡De una! — Absolutely!
26. ¡Pilas! — look at sharp!
27. Simón — Yeah, man!
28. Verás — This is offered in a selection of contexts come mean, “You’ll see,” “Watch out,” or “I’m going come say ‘I told friend so."” When making plans to cave out, you deserve to humorously warn her friend no to rest the plan by speak “Quedamos para el jueves. ¡Verás!” (We’re on for Thursday. Or else!). You could also use this come warn someone to practice caution or be wary of the result of their actions.
29. Ya saaabe — A super chill way to say, “You already know, man!” or “You understand it!” The longer you stretch out that aaaa, the chiller girlfriend are.
30. ¿Mande? — Come again? This one has actually a an unfavorable historical context rooted in the time of Spanish conquerors, as it to be the proper way for a topic to address their ruler. Mande is the polite “you” form of mandar (to command). Basically, you’re politely asking, “What perform you want me come do?” or “What perform you command me to do?” It’s thought about to be polite, so you might use this as you you re welcome in Ecuador with whoever you’re addressing.
31. ¡Chuta! — Shoot! If you’re feeling especially frustrated, try elongating the u and saying chuuuuuta or chuuuu. It’s nice satisfying, right?
32. -azo — Alright, this one isn’t a word so lot as a suffix. Adding it come the end of a native expresses the the thing in inquiry is large. Some instances of its usage are buenazo (awesome) instead of bueno, or ricazo (delicious) instead of rico.
33. ¡Qué huevada! — What a load of crap!
34. ¿La plena? — Really? Seriously?
35. Huevón — Jerk, a**hole. Commonly used in between male buddies once joking around.
36. ¡Mentira! — Sure, this native is a suitable Spanish word, however it’s used typically in conversational Ecuadorian Spanish come express disbelief or astonishment. If you’re at sight incredulous around something your buddy simply said, scream “¡Mentira!” in a high-pitched ton of voice.
37. Bacán — Cool
38. Chévere — Cool. This is more common than bacán in Ecuador.
39. ¡Qué asco! — Gross! This can be offered humorously throughout a gross-out story, vulgar hoax or gritty story from someone’s last night out. Friend can additionally just say “¡Asco!”
40. ¡Carajo! — Darn, damn
41. Fresco — Fresh, smooth. For example, if someone asks you how your trip to the shore went, you can tell them how chill, relaxed and uncomplicated it was by saying, “Todo fresco, man.”
42. Caramba — An exclamation supplied to to express surprise, anger and also excitement. It’s often said straight to a misbehaving boy or dog and also comes off sounding an ext like, “You rascal!”
43. Cacho — Time-out, pause. This is supplied by children when they want to take a time-out indigenous a video game like hide and also seek. They’ll say, “¡Cacho, cacho, cacho!” and also all the other children come running the end from your hiding places. For example, if your team of friends is arguing around where to eat out and can’t decision on a restaurant, you deserve to break in and say, “Cacho, cacho, cacho…” so they quiet down for a minute.
44. ¿¡¿¡Quién dice?!?! — who says?!?! speak this cheeky phrase once someone speak you the you shouldn’t perform something, or that something you desire to carry out is a poor idea. Girlfriend can’t swim best after eating? friend can’t go to that concert on the dangerous side of the city? who says?!?! This ended up being popular thanks to the Ecuadorian comedy team EnchufeTV—you deserve to watch one video in the famous series here. You’ll also hear a TON of Ecuadorian slang in this video.
45. Cojudo — Silly, stupid person
46. Loquillo — stunner person
47. Cholo — Tacky, vulgar, in poor taste.
48. ¡Dale! — struggle it!
49. O sea — Used to join thoughts together much like “Ummm….” attracted out to sound choose “o seaaaaaa….” when a long pause is necessary in conversation.
50. ¡Sale! — Get the end of here! This is shouted like “shoo!” to dogs and also other animals.
51. Chucha — Darn! This one’s a little vulgar and should only be supplied informally because, in details contexts, it’s slang because that female lady parts.
52. ¡Qué bestia! — “How crazy!” or “That’s wild!” The word bestia means “beast,” so that’s wherein the wild and crazy facet comes from.
53. ¿Qué cosa? — What to be that? speak this once you didn’t quite know someone and also want them come repeat or clear up something.
54. ¿Qué fue? — What’s up?
55. ¿Qué más? — What rather is up? You can use this after you’ve currently asked “¿Qué fue?” and want to encourage her conversation companion to store chatting around their life.
56. ¡No me jodas! — Don’t mess v me! This is exclaimed to express disbelief or excitement. It can be said playfully to tell a close girlfriend to battered yanking your chain.
57. ¡Ojo! — Watch out!
General Ecuadorian Slang Words
58. Canguil — Popcorn. The non-slang term is palomitas.
59. Chichis — Boobies
60. Estar chiro(a) — To it is in broke
61. Pelado(a) — boyfriend (girlfriend)
62. Pelucón — well-off person
63. Foco — Flashy, showy
64. Cargoso(a) — Someone that likes come joke around at others’ expenses.
65. Choro — Thief, robber
66. Chapa — Police officer
67. Policía acostado — speed bump. Literally, it means “police officer laying down.”
68. La yoni — The united States
69. Chompa — Sweater, jacket
70. Acolitar — To assist or support
71. Zancudo — Mosquito
English Loan words in Ecuadorian Spanish
English has made it almost everywhere the world, for this reason it’s no genuine surprise the it’s make it to Ecuador. Together always, the youth embrace what’s “cool” in modern-day culture. Here are several of the English loan words the you can expect to hear in Ecuador.
72. Full — Full, total, complete, crowded. Full is pronounced with a Spanish accent (“fool”) and precedes nouns as an adjective. Because that example, ¡Full fiesta! (Total party!)
73. Cool — Same as English!
74. Fresh — Fresh (as in new air) or chill, relaxed
75. Relax — This is spoken with an elongated rolled rr sound, and also is spoken as a one-word motto. Like, hey man: rrrrrrrelax.
76. Super — deserve to be provided to change muy or demasiado.
77. Happy — just how you feel after a night that partying, tipsy.
78. Broder — Brother. This is used like “bro.” It’s pronounced with a strong rr roll and also an extra long oooo, like “broooooder.”
79. Chance — When you’re the end of choices you have the right to say, “No hay chance,” (There’s no way) or you can say “¡Dame otra chance!” (Give me an additional chance!) when playing a video clip game and failing. It’s pronounced an ext like “chans” or perhaps the name “Chauncey.”
Ecuadorian Party Words
When you obtain to Ecuador, you’ve got to be all set for a party or two. Grab her favorite beer—are you much more into Pilsener, club or Brahma? If you stated Brahma, us can’t it is in friends, and also Club is just acceptable if you’ve uncovered a nice potent bottle of Club Rojo or Club Negro.
You could additionally opt for a michelada (beer and lime juice through salt around the glass rim) or some caña manabita.
80. Finde — The shortened slang variation of fin de semana (weekend).
81. Chumar — come drink
82. Chumado(a) — Drunk
83. Chupado — Drunk
84. Biela — Beer
85. Trago — Drink, shot
86. Vacilar — dance provocatively, suggestively through someone; hook up
87. Agarrar — Hook up, make out
88. Jaba — A crate of 12 beers. This is the cheapest means to to buy them, as you have the right to usually get 12 beers because that $10. Nice!
89. La farra — Party
90. Changar — Hook your legs approximately someone as soon as dancing, cuddling, etc.
91. Arrecho — This all-purpose adjective expresses a heightened state that emotion. If you say the you’re arrecho, it could mean that you’re emotion awesome, frustrated, infuriated, energetic or ecstatic. It’s a good word to have on hand for party night!
92. Embalado — at sight exited, pumped
93. Cueeeeeenta — “Tell me!” or “Spill!” speak this once you desire your girlfriend to spill her juiciest gossip end a beer.
94. Chuchaqui — Hungover/hangover. What you’ll be emotion after girlfriend sample every those drinks. This word also belongs to the next section together it’s acquired from Kichwa.
Kichwa derived Slang in Ecuador
95. Wambra or Guambra — Kid
96. Wawa or guagua — Baby
97. Taita or tayta — Dad, father
98. Achachai — Cold. To speak “¡Achachai!” when you’re chilly and also shivering.
99. Arrarrai — Hot. Say “¡Arrarrai!” with strongly rolled rr sounds when you burn yourself.
100. Ñaño(a) — brothers (sister)
101. Chullo — One. Because that example, “Solo tengo un chullo zapato” (I only have one shoe!)
102. Yucho — Naked, distinct naked
103. Chancleta — Sandal, flip flop. You can likewise have la chancleta de biela (the case of beer).
Alright, guys. That’s all the Ecuadorian slang you can ever desire to know. That seems prefer a many but, think me, there’s still an ext out there for you to discover. Where you walk in Ecuador, you’re sure to encounter brand-new ways the playing with the language the never arisen to you before.
I think you’re officially ready to ship turn off to Ecuador and also hit the Mariscal.
Enjoy, and also have one extra canelazo or 2 for me!
Maureen Stimola is a Vermont indigenous with she heart in Latin America. She has a lifelong enthusiasm for travel, science, languages and crazy things choose snowboarding in Argentina and Chile.
Download: This blog short article is obtainable as a convenient and portable PDF that youcan take it anywhere. Click below to acquire a copy. (Download)
If you liked this post, something speak me that you"ll love keolistravelservices.com, the best way to discover Spanish with real-world videos.
suffer Spanish immersion online!
keolistravelservices.com bring English to life v real-world videos. Learning English becomes fun and also easy as soon as you find out with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks.
See more: Living The Life Of A Renegade, X Ambassadors: Renegades Meaning
keolistravelservices.com is a participant in the Amazon services LLC Associates Program, one affiliate proclaiming program draft to carry out a way for sites come earn heralding fees through advertising and also linking come Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo design are trademarks the Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. We likewise participate in various other affiliate proclaiming programs because that products and also services we believe in.