Do you require a word because that a human who foretells the future? Take treatment in your selection. There room plenty of synonyms, but most have a unique connotation. Right here are 15 mostly distinct terms and also their specific meanings:
1. augur: One who predicts events based upon omens; the surname stems indigenous officials in ancient Rome who lugged out this type of task. (The verb form is provided in the expression “augurs well,” together in “This outcome augurs well because that us.”) not to be confused with auger, the word for a device or device for boring holes.
You are watching: What do you call someone who can see the future
2. Cassandra: One who properly predicts unfortunate occasions in vain, from the personality in Greek mythology for this reason cursed.
3. crystal gazer: One who supplies a decision or glass world or other objects in order come channel knowledge; a contemporary sense is of predicting without adequate information.
4. doomsayer: One who frequently predicts disaster. (See Cassandra for a one-of-a-kind sense.)
5. fortune-teller: One who foretells events, generally to a customer regarding the person’s an individual life.
6. futurist: One who uses opinions or insights about the future based on study that past and current events; this hatchet is most proper for a serious conversation of contemporary predictions about societal issues based on trends.
7. Jeremiah: A cynical biblical prophet, and, through extension, anyone that predicts calamity; his name additionally gave increase to the ax jeremiad, meaning “a complain or rant.”
8. oracle: A human who serves as the mouthpiece of a deity. (Oracular pronouncements in ancient Greece to be obscure and also ambiguous, and an ext than one number in Greek mythology learned that lesson painfully.) The term now refers, by extension, come anyone respected for the sagacity of your opinions or predictions.
9. palm reader/palmist: A fortune-teller whose predictions are based upon reading the present of a who palm.
10. prophesier: One that prophesies (pronounced through a lengthy i), or renders a prediction, regularly in the sense of a veiled message, handed down v the generations, the foretells an occurrence.
11. prognosticator: One that predicts based on observations that phenomena.
12. prophet: One who reveals through divine inspiration. In the Abrahamic religious beliefs (Christianity, Islam, and also Judaism), the term refers to one who has actually received messages directly from God; in this sense, the singular and also plural forms are frequently capitalized.
13. seer: One that predicts events, especially a decision gazer. Through extension, this term describes insightful modern-day experts.
14. sibyl: among a variety of female prophets the the ancient world.
15. soothsayer: One that predicts the future by reason, intuition, or magic.
See more: 16 Reasons Why Do Chihuahuas Shake A Lot, Why Do Chihuahuas Shiver
There is no noun type of the phrase “deja vu” the identifies a human who experience an illusion the having already lived through an occasion occurring for the first time, but there must be. The term also refers casually come a familiar yet unwelcome experience. (“Support because that the Libyan rebels to be yet an additional case that deja vu.”)
Want to boost your English in 5 minutes a day? acquire a subscription and also start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! browser the Vocabulary category, inspect our popular posts, or pick a related post below:
8 Responses to “15 Terms for Those that Tell the Future”kircon September 19, 2011 2:34 am
14. Sibyl: among a number of female prophets the the ancient world.
^so this is where Sybil Trelawney that the harry Potter civilization came from. Interesting!